Wednesday, September 18, 2019

First Time For First Days: First Days Of School Lesson

finding nemo school GIFIf I learned anything from my FFA advisor, Mrs.D, it was this: "Gagne, you only get one first impression. Go wow that judge with your speech and make him want to listen to you within the first 5 seconds!" This concept of first impressions has now rolled over into my future career as an educator.


Why is the first day so important? 
When the first day of school comes around you are giving your class that first impression of not only you but, your class too! The importance of setting the tone right on that first day will effect your classroom and classroom management for the rest of the year. Today I got to practice what my first day of teaching will be like!
What Was my lesson?
In the 10 minute window that I taught to my peers I did a classroom expectation activity. The students created expectations of themselves, their peers and of me.I wanted to provide ownership to the students since this was for a 9th or 10th grade Introduction to Agriculture class.
                   Reflecting on my lesson?
    Image result for reflecting
  • Having students write their answer on sticky notes is a great tool but, make sure I write the answers on the board so everyone can see the notes once "posted" or do a gallery walk. 
  • I should still have a list somewhere of what I think expectations and consequences should be either for reference or to suggest others that they might have missed. 
  • Music while students work keeps the classroom alive and can help some students engage.

How do we balance students voices and maintain "order" in our classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I really liked how you used the sticky notes as part of the lab! I also appreciate your connection with public speaking while an ag student. That is a great way to give examples of how the skills taught in an ag classroom are transferable and a helpful tip for me for when I start coaching students for public speaking!

    ReplyDelete