Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Southington+Juniata Valley=Conrad Weiser: How did teaching at JV Prepare me for my Internship?

Slide about me used to connect with students
A conversation that occurred daily in my a high school animal science class:

Mrs.Digioia: "Gagné you're going to be an agriculture teacher."
Me: "That is not going to happen"
Mrs.Digioia: "We will see"

Throughout my time as a Southington FFA member I always fought the idea of being a teacher especially an agriculture teacher. Now I am 4 years into my degree in Agricultural and Extension Education and I am finally realizing why Mrs.Digioia pushed me so hard to be an agriculture teacher. It was this week that I was able to interact with students in "my own" class setting that gave me that concrete evidence that I am still on the right track.

What was the experience I had?
This week I got to go to Juniata Valley in Alexandria,Pa and teach one period of Introduction to Agriculture to Mrs.Russell's 8th grade class. I spent one day observing Mrs.Russell teach the class and 3 days teaching the class about the agriculture industry in Pennsylvania and Connecticut in comparison to the rest of the country.

Being from Connecticut and not that familiar with Pennsylvania agriculture or production agriculture made me nervous going into this experience. I knew that some of my students had strong production backgrounds and probably knew more than I did at time but, that became an interesting roll in my classroom.

What did I learn?

  • It is okay not to know everything: There were several questions that I had no idea what the answer would be such as "can cows eat cotton?" We used these time to research answers and got the students thinking in ways I did not imagine they would! 
  • Students reflecting on different states
    agriculture industry
  • Know your students: The first day I had them create name tags about themselves and I told them about me. I always was told to do this but, never understood the power behind it. I had students asking me questions and not being afraid to answer questions even if they were not the most correct answer. I developed a relationship with them in a short amount of time and we were able to learn and have fun. Doing that exercised showed I cared about them and I wasn't just there to be there.
How can I better manage my classroom?
  • Grouping: I tried 2 different grouping methods and both times the students who probably shouldn't have been together were. I ended up checking in and providing guided questions to help keep them on track with the task at hand but, I need to be mindful of how I am grouping my students. 
  • Music: I allowed each group to suggest 2 songs for me to make a playlist for the class. The students enjoyed this and it was a fair process of selecting music for the class. I did one day with music and one day without. Students were just as productive each day they were working.
  • Exit slip from day 2!
  • Engaging students: In group work (groups of 2/3) these was mainly one student doing most of the work and the other ones not as engaged. I choose to handle this by asking students in the groups individually to look up a certain part of the project they were working on. This helped bring them into the group. I overall need to focus a-lot on this and practice ways to engage all student not just half. 
Closing Questions?
  • How can I engage all students in a group project?
  • How do you handle students who may know more about the content then you?

No comments:

Post a Comment