Saturday, November 2, 2019

What About Everyone Else?:Attending National FFA Convention

This week I was able to attend the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana. I attended with 7 students from Conrad Weiser Area High School and 2 advisors from the middle and high school. 
While at the convention I was able to talk to several teachers from around the United States and discuss how do we prepare students not attending the convention for success in the classroom while I am away.
Conrad Weiser Students walking in Indy
Here are some questions I discussed throughout the convention:
To my future students:
What were some things you wanted your peers to know about the convention?
To my cooperating teacher, Mr.Serfass:
How do you have students share their knowledge coming back from convention? 
  • Students talk. They talk about experiences and it won't ever come out as "this is what I learned" but, through communicating they will share their take aways from convention. Students also share on social media and even if it isn't a clear message they allow students to see a sliver of the convention.

For one of your current virtual mentors,Annette Weeks:
What are your students doing back at school?
  • They are doing a project over several days. She suggested leaving a plan for the whole few days and then chunk it into sections for each day. Get to know a sub in the building or a retired teacher so, someone can cover your class and be comfortable in the labs. 
Overall the experience of taking students to convention with Conrad Weiser taught me a ton about what it means to travel with students. The first time I take students anywhere it will not go 100% as planned but, now I have an idea of what to do thanks to this experience. 

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I am so glad that you got to meet your virtual mentor Mrs. Weeks in person, and that your conversation with her provided you with useful advice for how to leave multi-day sub plans. Who were some of the other ag teachers that you met at convention and where were they from?

    ReplyDelete