Sunday, November 10, 2019

Inquiry Based Instruction: Blues Clues Edition


 This week I deep dived to figure out what is inquiry based instruction and how I can implement it into my classroom?
Image result for blues clues memesI found several different resources and put the clues together to determine what this method actually is. I realize after reading that this method is extremely student centered and helps students explore content. One article discussed the idea of questions and inquiry based learning.

We always ask "what questions are there?" but, the student might not even know what question to ask until they have time to explore and play with the content. They need to find the clue themselves and put them together.



The Clues of learning
I see this process being laid out in different "clues" kinda similar to the 90's Tv show Blues Clues!
Clue #1: students are exposed to some sort of content either in depth or an overview.
Clue #2: Students get to explore content in several different ways. This can be personalize project times, case studies, questioning or research.
Clue #3: Students reflect and review the content in a way that allows for a deeper understanding.
Putting these together students get a well rounded and personalized experience with the content.

After doing some research I am still not an expert in inquiry based instruction. Below are some questions I still have:

To my future students
 What is one thing in agriculture that you are still curious about and how do you want to explore that topic?
For my university supervisor 
How can I use inquiry based instruction to drive/support students supervised agricultural experience (SAE) projects?
For my cohort
Image result for inquiry based instructionHow do you plan on handling questions not immediately pertaining to what you are teaching? Do you want to answer then as they come up and possibly come off track, use a parking lot, have time set aside or any other ideas for answering questions not immediately pertaining to class?

This week I will be attending Ag Ed Inquiry Institute in Harrisburg,Pa and I am excited to be able to dig deeper in inquiry based learning and get some practice with the method as well with help from Krista Pontius from Greenwood High School!

No comments:

Post a Comment