Tuesday, February 18, 2020

The Next County Over: Visiting Mr.Kerstetter

Mr.Kersetter teaching welding
What is a better way to start off the week than going to visit a fellow colleague of mine! I left my school and students in Berks County for the day to check out what Mr.Kerstetter does at Solanco High School in Lancaster,Pa.

Setting the stage...
While at Solanco I got to observe Mr.Kerstetter teach agricultural mechanics through a power technology class, a welding class and a hand and power tools class. These courses are very opposite from my courses at Weiser but, that was not the only difference. His classes are 42 minutes instead of the 80 minutes that I am use to and enjoy!

What did I learn? 
The Grade and Ungraded Welding box with task sheet.

  • I loved the way the welding beads were graded in the welding class. Students did welds off a task sheet. Once completed the students put them in a tool box on the ungraded side for Mr.Kerstetter to grade. This is a great way to have students to have a routine in the shop as well as work at their own pace. 
  • Mr.Kerstetter allows students to retake tests and quizzes. WHY- So students can be successful and learn from mistakes. 
  • When cleaning the shop Mr.Kerstetter has a shop cleaning assignment/rotation. Each student is assigned to a specific job in the shop for clean up and then they are graded on how well they completed that task. I was struggling with clean up routines at my program but, I can see this working nicely in the greenhouse.  
  • Kahoot!- Mr.Kerstetter used a Kahoot! to introduce himself to his students. I loved this idea and the students enjoyed this too!
At the end of the day...
Power Technology Class doing engine rebuilds
Mr.Kerstetter has a great relationship with his students that shows he has set up routines that work for him and his kids. He knows their interests and preferred learning styles which he keeps in mind when designing his lesson. I am excited to see how Mr.Kerstetter continues to grow as an educator in the next 10 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment